We all need a little more rest in our lives and finding rest as a new mother is tough.Since we have had Cameron in our lives for five months now I feel as though I am beginning to be able to get better on how we find more rest. Sometimes there are long days and long nights especially with working full time but it seems as though in our home we have been able to begin to shut down at the end of the night and truly appreciate those hours before bed time that we have with Cameron.
First I wanted to share five tips for more rest for your baby. Cameron still naps a ton thoughout the day and we have been blessed that, for the most part, he sleeps through the night. As any family does, we went through a rough patch where Cameron was up every few hours after sleeping throughout the night like a champ. For the most part now he is putting himself to sleep and staying asleep until about 6am.
Here are my top five tips for more rest for your baby.
1. Keep on a schedule – Cameron naps almost about every 1.5-2 hours after he woke up from his last nap. I can tell he is getting crabby and can put him in his crib happy to put himself asleep. This helps him to be in a great mood all day long!
2. Play during awake time – Cameron and I spend tons of time doing activities while he is away. He jumps in his Graco Bumper Jumper
, plays in his Skip Hop Activity Center
, we read books, and do tummy time. For us I think it helps him to feel plenty sleepy by the end of the day.
3. Use white noise – When Cameron was a baby he would listen to Brahms Lullaby on repeat. After doing quite a bit of research I found that the lullaby on repeat was actually disrupting his sleep. White noise helps to cancel out the noise in the house and keeps him asleep longer.
4. Find sleep products that work for you – For us we have a few products we swear by. The products that Cameron sleeps in every night are his DockATot
, Nested Bean Zen Swaddle
, room darkening shades, and his Skip Hop Owl Soother
. All of these create a calm sleeping space for Cameron.
5. Practice a nightly routine – From the moment we brought Cameron home we started a sleep routine. Over the past few months we have changed and adapted his sleep routine but I think it helps to signal to him that it is bed time. Now I can put him into his bed and he will fall asleep on his own!
Finding more rest for myself is hard. I am always on the go and currently work full time. Even on the weekends it is hard for me to slow down for a minute. Since we have changed our life and added a little bundle of joy to our family, my rest has had to change. I have found a few ways that I can take a break and relax for a few minutes here and there and at the end of the day!
Here are my five tips for finding more rest for myself.
1. Have a routine – I mentioned above that it helps that we have a routine for Cameron but I also have a bed time routine. Before bed do a few things before getting into bed. This helps my brain to shut down and helps me to truly relax. Some things you can do is have a cup of tea, moisturize your skin, and read a few pages from your book.
2. Meditate – During the day if I am feeling stressed or just need a minute, I will find a quiet spot to sit and breathe for a few minutes. Remembering to breathe is essential and helps me to relax and calm down.
4. Get some exercise – Exercising helps me to change my mind on whatever is currently happening in my life. I enjoy being able to work up a sweat and get out of my own head for a little bit.
5. Be thankful – Being thankful for my life and what I have is something that gives me more rest. When I take a minute to think about what I have been blessed with I am able to take a deep breath and relax. Always be thankful!